The Goodwater Depot was built in 1887 by the Central of Georgia Railroad Company. It had the only coal chute between Columbus, Ga., and Birmingham, so it was necessary for every train to stop at the Goodwater Depot. Year-round shipments of lumber were made from the Depot, as well as seasonal shipments of cotton and watermelon. After the railroad companies progressed to diesel engines and trucking became more popular, only passenger trains stopped at the Depot, and those eventually ceased, as well. In 1984, the Central of Georgia Railroad Company gave the Depot building to the City of Goodwater, and the Pride and Action Club paid to have it moved to its current location on Alabama Highway 9 North of Goodwater.
Goodwater Healthcare Center
The Goodwater Healthcare Center is a state-licensed, 72-bed nursing facility that provides both long-term and short-term nursing and rehabilitation services in Coosa County and the surrounding area. It has been in operation since 1966. In addition to the main facility, the property includes the Administrative Annex building, which is a restored Victorian house. The center is located on Alabama Highway 9 near the old Goodwater Depot.